NAMI Western Carolina is again offering its free Family-to-Family Education Program for family, caregivers and friends of individuals living with a mental illness.
An evidence-base best practice as designated by the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), the 12-session program is taught by trained family member volunteers. Classes will meet in Asheville Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-8:30 p.m. beginning September 8 and continuing through October 15. Class size is limited and preregistration required.
Topic areas addressed include:
– Current information on research and treatment of major mental illnesses and co-occurring brain and addictive disorders
– Information on medications, side effects and strategies for medication adherence
– Care for the caregiver and coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
– Learning problem-solving, listening and communication techniques
– Community supports and services and strategies for handling crises and relapse
NAMI North Carolina program trainings
- September 19-20, 2015 – In Our Own Voice
- October 9-11, 2015 – Connection
For further information, click here.
Training site to be chosen according to where the majority of applications are from.